Rewriting The Rich Are Different

While in the post office the other day, a couple of postal workers who bought A Real Piece of Work complimented me on the writing.

“It reads so smoothly,” one of them said.

“It seems like it’s effortless for you,” said another.

Then they asked what I was up to now. I told them, “Reworking the second book in the series so it reads like the first.”

In fact, yesterday I finished a new revision of the novel—The Rich Are Different—and I was reminded of something Michael Crichton once said about his own struggles with revision. He said, “Books aren’t written—they’re rewritten….It is one of the hardest things to accept, especially after the seventh rewrite hasn’t quite done it.”

I’ve lost count which rewrite of The Rich Are Different that I’m on, but I’m sure there will be 2–3 more before I’m through.

(Long sigh.)

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
By Chris Orcutt

Writer — The Dakota Stevens Mystery Series, Short fiction, Plays — Editor & Speechwriter for Hire — Avid Golfer, Chess Player & Awesome Wood-Splitter — Twitter: @chrisorcutt

Comments (7)

1. Bruce March 3, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Sounds promising, actaully. I’ll be lining up to read it when it’s ready, but I’m happy to wait for that point.

2. Bruce March 3, 2012 at 2:57 am

Nope. Paid for it, thought it had potential for a twisty procedural, would prefer the Boy’s Own was taken down to near-zero, or at least Chandler levels. Could have written an Amazon review, but since that would have likely done genuine damage to Chris’s budding novel-as-ebooks career, decided to mention it here.

If I didn’t think there was the potential for future books to be more interesting to me, I wouldn’t be following here, or waiting patiently for the next book to figure out whether the trend is going towards or away from something I want to read.

• Orcutt March 3, 2012 at 6:49 am

Bruce, I sincerely appreciate your comments and your desire not to harm the reputation of book #1 or future ones in the series. I take your and other discerning readers’ comments seriously and will have them in mind as I revise book #2. As it’s shaping up right now, the case in The Rich Are Different is a more traditional PI case, which may or may not appeal to you. Thank you for buying the first book and for having the patience beyond one book to see where the series goes. —Chris

3. Jason Scott March 2, 2012 at 4:56 pm

So, is crapping on the carpet the way they say “hello” on your planet? And how is your novel doing these days, Bruce? Still locked up inside your head, where it is perfect?

It’s quite amusing somebody would follow an author’s blog just to get in a gut punch based on their made-up criticism. Let me guess: got it for free?

4. Bruce March 2, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Awesome. Can you re-write out the hackneyed adventure fantasy bits? Inferring from the first book that they were going to be there.

5. Trudy Snider March 2, 2012 at 1:03 pm

So looking forward for your new book. The Rich are Different.